Newspaper in Education (NIE) is an educational program associated with the Daily Democrat
- Improve the educationalachievement of students
- Instill a stronger sense of community among students
- Enhance the educational experience of students
- Increase community involvement in education
What is Newspaper in Education?
Newspaper in Education (NIE) attempts to achieve these goals by:
- Providing sponsored sets of newspapers for classroom use
- Offering curriculum support
- Increasing the understanding of special issues and events
- Offering a sponsorship program that encourages community involvement
How does Newspaper in Education (NIE) work?
Businesses, organizations and even individuals can contribute to this effort. Through sponsorship contributions, teachers and students benefit from educational materials offered by the NIE program, such as classroom sets of newspapers, activity guides and other curriculum support, access to a variety of education programs, opportunity to receive quarterly newspapers and educational updates.
Why are newspapers used in classrooms?
- Newspapers in the classroom deal with reality, in what is happening here and now.
- Newspapers in the classroom contains practical vocabulary, words that students will use over and over again throughout their lives.
- Newspapers in the classroom improve students' reading achievement, retention and comprehension. In one study, reading skills increased by two grade levels for students who used the newspaper, compared to students using traditional methods.
- Newspapers in the classroom influence students' attitudes towards reading and improves their competencies in reading newspapers.
How can I help?
Through sponsorships, the Daily Democrat can implement a Newspaper in Education program to reach students in our schools. As a sponsor, you can provide newspapers for students in classrooms each week. If you wish to adopt a particular school or classroom, we can accommodate you.
How will I benefit as a sponsor?
Throughout the school year, the Daily Democrat places NIE ads to recognize program sponsors. The Daily Democrat will also display sponsors name and logo. Letters will be mailed to area school superintendents notifying them of their schools' NIE sponsors and their teachers participating in the program. NIE sponsors also receive a certificate for their office.